The Village Cooperative (Co-op) started 30+ years ago when North Leverett residents decided they could
purchase grocery items more cheaply by bringing the community together and forming a cooperative.
They had become increasingly discouraged by the high food prices at nearby stores. With financing from
a local bank, hundreds of contributing member-owners and dozens of member lenders, the Co-op
renovated and expanded the existing store. Community engagement remains an integral part of the Co-op
operation and it continues to be a valuable community asset.
The General Manager (GM) is responsible for conducting the affairs of the Co-op in such a manner as to
safeguard the interests of the members in accordance with the bylaws and policies of the corporation as
well as local, state and federal law. The GM is responsible for Co-op operations in all areas including but
not limited to, customer/community service, membership, staff oversight, health, safety & regulation
matters, facility operations, marketing/sales, and financial accounting. The GM has the authority to hire,
direct, and evaluate all other staff, and works to ensure the Co-op meets all financial, quality and
operational goals set jointly with the board of directors. Working closely with member-owners, the board
of directors, and store personnel, the General Manager will work toward short and long term goals,
monitor progress against these goals, identify and execute needed improvements, and lead innovation and
growth. The GM reports to the board of directors, which is elected by the Co-op’s member-owners.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES BY MANAGEMENT AREA:
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the Co-op.
- Supervise scheduling of staff for maximum productivity.
- Promote teamwork among departments; ensure resolution of any/all operational issues
- Supervise all matters relating to personnel, in accordance with personnel policies
- established by the Board. Ensure regular communication with all staff via regular staff
meetings and individual contacts.
- Ensure that the store runs in a financially responsible manner.
- Create and establish merchandising criteria, which support maximum sales and good
- Support existing marketing/fundraising efforts and ideally grant writing.
- Member-Customer Services And Community Relations :
- Develop and maintain good working relationships in the community.
- Ensure that the store operates in compliance with all current Board policies and assist the
board with their development of such policies.
- Attend all regular Board and general membership meetings to give written monthly reports
of Co-op activities.
- Provide staff support for Board committees and board sponsored activities as requested.
- Experience managing a retail food store and/or healthy prepared foods operations; or
- Personal and professional values that align with cooperative principles
- Strong work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, adapt to change,
and meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to define and achieve bottom-line accountability for a business.
- Proven ability to develop and implement a vision and strategic plan.
- Proven ability in team building, including leading and motivating others to achieve
- Experience in accounts payable and receivable, working and long-term capital needs and
- A sense of humor and a can-do attitude!
To apply, please send an email to LVCoopboard@leverettnet.net with the following attachments in MS
Office Word or PDF format. Applications will be accepted until May 15, 2018 or until the position is filled.
1. Cover letter.
3. Three employment references with full contact information (name, address, phone, email,
While the Co-op strongly prefers applications via email, if access to the internet is an issue for any reason,
please apply via postal mail to Board President, Village Co-op, PO Box 624, Leverett, MA 01054.
The Village Co-op values excellence and diversity in hiring and is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
This description is intended to outline the primary responsibilities, general nature and level of work being
performed by person assigned to this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties and competencies. Other duties may be assigned.